Thursday, August 12, 2010

My last blog as a Washington Youth Garden Youth Intern



Interning at the Washington Youth Garden has been an honor and pleasure. These last two summers have been an adventure full of fun and excitement. When I first came to the garden I didn’t like it that much, I wasn’t use to a lot of outside work. I hated weeding and working in the sun, but I realized the reward you get after everything is done and you see the transformation that you were a part of in creating in the garden. To turn an area full of weeds into a Nature Explore activity area for the children and knowing you had help creating it, is a wonderful feeling.
The Washington Youth Garden has taught me a lot of things and has helped me to grow. I have interacted and taught younger children about eating right and cooking wonderful dishes. Many of the children loved when I put on my chef jacket and start to cooked, they loved the dishes I created for them. I was able to visit the White House’s garden with WYG’s Seed To Supper participants and talked to the Presidents head pastry chef. I got to meet the Secretary of Agriculture at the Arboretum and I was able to have a conversation with him and he gave me a coin with his seal on it. I also got to meet Reed Doughty and Malcolm Kelly of the Washington Redskins. I would have never had the opportunity to be interviewed by J.C. Hayward if it wasn’t for the Washington Youth Garden and there support. (Check out WYG’s website to see interview.)
I will miss my Washington Youth Garden Family as I embark on my new journey into college at Baltimore International College. I will never forget this place and I will be back to visit every chance I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment